Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Who Needs Sleep?

I don't sleep late on the weekends but I sleep later than I do during the week.  I have very dark curtains in my bedroom to aid in my sleeping later, but they fail.  As dark as they are, when it is sunny enough outside they will turn a brighter shade of brown which is just enough to wake me up.  It's still okay though, because sometimes I'll sleep as late as 7 am!

I've simply never been a late sleeper.  I guess I am a morning person and I'm not entirely certain as to why.  I wake up happy and early (sorta happy).  During the week I wake up before six am, typically, even though my alarm is set for later.

When I was a child, my parents had to give me a bed time and a wake up time.  No matter what time I woke up, I was not allowed to leave my room and start stirring around the house before 7 am.  My siblings would sleep so much later.  One would go as late as noon quite often.  Another was so thrilled to sleep that she wasn't allowed to go to bed until a certain time.  It was a reverse bed time.  While most every kid were being told by their parents that they had to go to bed at a certain time, she was being told that she could not go to bed until a certain time.  Ahhhhhh, good times.

So now I have kid and she is torn about whether or not to be a morning person.  I find it funny that during the week it is a struggle to get her to wake  up on time but on the weekend, it is a struggle to get her to sleep as late as she needs to. 

But I understand that it is not only my child who does this, so it isn't just the "curse of the child of a morning person!"  It is quite a common occurrence.  I guess they simply do not want to wake up early during the week to see what school has to offer, but maybe they want to be up early on the weekend to see what a world free of structure and education has to offer!

Kids are funny like that.

And now, as if on cue,  my precious angel has just woken up, so I am going to stop this post right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment