Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 13, 2012

What am I supposed to do? I've got no place else to go!

I certainly hope that this doesn't come across as overly prejudiced but I can only assume there is some prejudice within me regarding such a sensitive issue.  A very sensitive issue.

I went to a local Chinese Restaurant to pick up a lunch yesterday.  I have been eating at this same place for over twenty years and I LOVE IT!  They always serve the tastiest ham fried rice goodness to ever come in a styrofoam container. 

But I'll be honest, when it comes to Chinese Food, I don't know if I really know what good food is.  I just like what I like.  When it comes to the food I am simply an ignorant Gaijin. Yes I know that Gaijin is a Japanese word and I don't care.  That's the level of ignorance I have achieved!

So, twenty years of the same Chinese Food and it still tastes as good as it did when I was in college.  Have I mentioned my love for this place?  Oh there is love!!!  Twenty years ago, it was just me and a group of borderline homeless college kids eating there and we ate well!  But as the years have progressed, I have noticed an awful lot of Chinese people at this restaurant.  It's almost made me want to stop going to this restaurant.

No, no, no, don't go there.  This isn't because I have a problem with Chinese people.  In fact, It actually makes me thrilled to think that actual Chinese people like the Chinese restaurant I am frequenting. 

When you think about it, that has to add a lot of credibility to a restaurant, when members of the culture they are trying to cater to actually like their food!  And this way, I am not just some ignorant American eating at a Chinese place simply to be trendy.  I am a man of the people eating where the real people eat.  This is where I want to be.

I also prefer Mexican Restaurants that real live Mexicans frequent.  Let's face it, we're more familiar with what is called "Tex Mex" in the states and most of it is damn near American-ized to death.  But, if Mexicans like the place you're going to, then this has got to be good!  But it has to be a local "Mexican" restaurant, not some franchise.

Don't even get me started on Taco Bell and Moe's; Moe's ESPECIALLY!!!  Why are they always yelling at me when I walk in the front door at Moe's?  If someone walks into my house and I start yelling at them, it is because I DO NOT want them to come in.  I love the food at Taco Bell and Moe's but I feel they have done for Mexican food what the Olive Garden is doing to Italian food; sure it's good food and they've covered the basics, but I'm sure they make a lot of stuff up!

In the same line of thinking (not the Taco Bell, Moe's, Olive Garden thing but the whole "who frequents your restaurant" thing) I prefer barbecue restaurants full of fat happy people.  A BBQ joint full of thin people isn't doing it right and they aren't dishing out enough!

So, you see, it's not a race issue.  I think Chinese folks at a Chinese place, and Mexicans at Mexican restaurant, and fat people at a fat restaurant are all a good thing.  A Very Good Thing!

No, the problem I have with my Chinese restaurant being full of Chinese is that, well, okay, let's say you like an "underground" band.  By liking, no, loving them, you have some semblance of being an individual because you and only a handful of others follow this band.  They are your secret to share with the world and you feel a connection with them. 

Then your band has a hit and suddenly they are loved by all!  "THOSE SELL OUT JERKS" you say to yourself and you're done with them.  How could they get you to love them only to cheat on you with everyone else on the planet?  They go from being your master of puppets and getting you to ride the lightning with them, to singing about a sandman and then they bring down Napster!!!!  Why Lars? Whyyyyyy???? 

Sorry, I'm getting off point.

So my Chinese restaurant is selling out to the exact same audience they were originally cooking for.  THE NERVE!!!!  They've become too good for me.  But I neeeeeed them!

Along similar lines, I have been devastated with what Political Correctness and Equal Opportunity has done to Japanese restaurants.  I was horrified when I learned you could no longer hire people based on race, at Japanese restaurants.  Of course, I understand that policy for any other business primarily because I do not think any race is better than any other race and also because ignorant people had gained too much control in the work place, historically. But, this should NOT be the case for a Hibachi Cook at a Hibachi Restaurant!!! 

This is a historically significant role in Japanese culture.  There is so much tradition in everything they do as a Hibachi chef.  I cannot stand it when someone who looks way too much like me is up there swinging knives talking about "Japanese Ketchup" or making a "Japanese Smiley Face" out of oil, or making "Mt. Fuji" out of onions...  Ughhhh.

But what am I to do?  I need my Chinese food from that particular place and I LOVE HIBACHI! As far as the Chinese food goes, I guess I will cave in and continue to go even though, everybody knows now.  And as far as the Hibachi places, I guess I do like it when Sven sings Happy Birthday in Japanese whilst he flails his knives around in a Thor-like manner.

On a side note, my original point has got me thinking:  Do you suppose restaurants pay people of specific cultures or weight classes to frequent their place?  I will gladly move to Europe and get paid to eat at all the American restaurants over there like McDonald's, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and Olive Garden. 

SIGN ME UP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment