Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 20, 2012

What I do in the privacy of my own home stays in the privacy of my own home... unitl I blog about it.

I was bored.  I was alone.  I had nothing better to do and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I sat in my chair, with my back facing my glass front door.  The main "stay out" door was still open.

The dogs slept at my feet staring at me from a reclined position waiting for me to move any muscle indicating that I wanted to play.  But I moved no muscles other than my fingers on the television remote.  The crickets chirped loudly; there's so many of them.

I flipped through the channels.  I could find nothing.  I have more channels than I can count.  I could still find nothing that sounded interesting.

Sci-fi movies... no
History Channel (always good)... no
The Olympics ... no; it's a delay and I know what happened
The Food Network... No, I'm still full from dinner

It just went on and on and on... and then I found it.  I found what I was in the mood for and it was something taboo.  Something I should not be watching.

I got up from my chair, upsetting the dogs greatly, and I shut my front door.  I did NOT need any neighbors or passers by seeing what I was watching.

I opted to lay down and get comfortable on my couch as opposed to returning to my upright position.  I needed to be in a reclined position.   I planned to be there for a while.

The movie started.  There was no suspense or surprise for me as I have seen this movie many times.  I've rarely watched the whole thing through in one sitting, but it's okay.  You don't always have to with this particular movie.  You know the kind of movie, with several "vignettes" combined as one movie with many different characters interacting with one another for several different story lines going on at once.

So, there I was, all alone, excited to be watching this movie but equally ashamed.  It is my dirty little secret.

It is, "Love Actually!"

I really really like that movie but I feel I must get it off my chest and come clean to the world and admit my weakness.  It is a total "Chick Flick" and I feel like there is something wrong with me.  Granted, there are scenes for the men but they're well done and surprisingly tasteful.

Why is it so bad for men to watch romance movies?  Why can't we come in from hunting all day, with dead animals carried on our shoulders, walk into the house  look at our spouses and say, "Honey, I'm beat.  Do you mind cleaning these so I can get a shower and watch Steel Magnolias?"  Because that's preposterous, that's why!

Chick Flicks really are quite boring.  As the saying goes, "Women like movies about one person dying slowly and men like movies about thousands of people dying quickly!"  It's true.  And then Women like movies about feelings.  Men like movies about feelings too but it's more like "are you feeling those 17 bullets I just pumped into you?"  I typically stick by these man quality movies.

But then there's Love Actually.  Why do I like it?  I don't know.  It's funny, it's deep, it's got some giggity moments, and most of the story lines touch on something I have experienced.  It's just an all around good movie for me.

However, until I just outed myself, I would only admit to watching that movie with a woman because she "made me do it."  There are certain programs that you can only watch with someone else and this is one of them.  Other cases are cartoons and kid's programming.  As great as they are, you can only watch them with a child and even then you have to say publicly "I only saw it to take the kid, but it did have some 'grown up' references that the kids didn't understand, so it really was funny."  Because that gives us some level of plausible deniability.

Seriously, way before I was a Dad, I was thrilled that I had a nephew I could take to see movies like Scooby Doo, Shrek, Toy Story, etc... Pokemon was rough though.  There were no redeeming qualities for me in that movie.  I took him out of love for that one.

So, yeah.  I like, no, LOVE "Love Actually" and I don't care who knows.  I'm glad I watched it alone though because, apparently, something got in my eye during the closing credits and they started watering a lot.  That would've been tough to explain to any in room witnesses.

Once I got the eye thing taken care of, I turned on Phineas and Ferb to level off.

Oh Shut Up... It's not like that.  As it turns out, the kid who play Ferb was the kid who played drums in Love Actually.  See how that all works out?  That's what it is, I'm just a fan of Thomas Brodie-Sangster; brilliant actor!

Yup, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Or, is that bad too?

1 comment:

  1. I must admit Love Actually is one of my favorites as well. It's the Britt humor. It's right behind the original Death at a Funeral. Again, Britt humor. So, don't call it a chick flick. Blame your admiration on that cheeky Britt humor you find so irresistable. Another fun fact...my favorite word is "dodgy". I've tried to use it in conversation but for some odd reason it seldom works.

    ReplyDelete