Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 27, 2012

Uncommon Toots

I think that some parenting lessons skip a generation.  Perhaps as a kid a person may make a mistake.  As an adult they remember the lesson they learned from their mistake and figure out how to not set their own child up for the same mistake. 

However, having not learned the same lesson as a child, the original parents kid, now grown up, one day sets their child (the original parent's grandchild; keep up with me here, we're almost through this) up to make the same mistake. 

I'm confused?  Are you confused?  I need an editor.  I'll explain my point with this story that some of you have heard before.

I remember it well. Back in the 70's when my family lived in Chicago, the King Tut exhibit "The Treasures of Tutankhamen" came to, I think, the Field Museum.

Anyway, regardless of where it was, I remember asking my Dad "Why do they call him KING TUT and not his full name?" THere was NO WAY, I could pronounce the full name, so I thought.

Dad's response was pretty much quick and to the point.  "King Tut is easier to say." I guess in my own youthful naivety, I accepted that as the answer.

I had lived my life accepting that reasoning behind the name ever since, until, I became a parent. I have now decided that Dad lied to me to protect me from my own silliness.  But I had learned nothing.

Recently, after watching Night at the Museum and explaining to my child (and others) that "sometimes mummies and all their stuff tour the world," I mentioned Tutankhamen. As it turns out, saying Tutankhamen, as pronounced "TOOT UNCOMMON" will get you a lot of giggles from kids 7 and up. I was probably 5 or 6 when I finally heard the name and said it; nothing registered.

Now I get to hear about "uncommon toots... snicker snicker!!!"

I like to think my Dad did the same thing to his Dad and that's how he learned to NOT teach me how to say Tutankhamen.  Lesson learned. 

KING TUT IT IS FROM NOW ON!!!!

On a side note, I must apologize to everyone who has ever said anything that, out of context, could be misinterpreted as remotely dirty or on some level of innuendo only to hear me giggle... yes, this still happens for me.... A LOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment