Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Kids just won't get outside of the box!

Well, I made it a day and if I must say so myself, that is damned impressive!  Such restraint I've shown.

But alas, I am weak and I must blog!  It's okay though, my kid is still asleep and the dog has been fed and visited the grass outside. 

This is a "parenting vacation" that I am on.  It's the type of vacation where, first and foremost, you do NO WORK!  That's the key.  However, in turn, you're life doesn't change much more than that.  I just moved my life at home to another house near a beach for a week.  Dog and child in tow. 

Blogging for me here, as long as it doesn't interrupt in my time with anyone, is pretty much like my weekend blogging.  I'll sit out in the little dining/ living room area of my rental, sipping my coffee, and I will type what I'm thinking about, spending very little time proofreading and I will publish only moments after I have completed my thoughts.  Whereas during the work week, my posts usually sit around for a a day or two waiting to be published after six or seven proofreadings.  As is typical for my weekend posts, as I type, I am all the while hoping that my lovely child will sleep for another hour at least; lest I spend a day at the beach with a monster!  But if she gets that one more hour, or even two, she will be an angel!

Now for her, this is still simply summer in a different house.  Other than a few hours spent in a daycare facility during the summer days, she has a very a relaxing routine.  But she has a routine nonetheless.

I think it's funny that children, and animals for that matter, have to stick to a routine.  You can only take them so far out of the box in stages before they have to get back to their core foundation and take a break.  Sure, this is like a weekend for my daughter too, but she has to stick to a routine. 

For example, yesterday, we got up, went to the grocery store for breakfast goods, went and joined some friends at their place for breakfast and then we took two the dogs to the beach.  Already there, we've had to stick to part of her daily routine what with having to have breakfast and all.  The nerve.  IT'S VACATION!!!  YOU can have breakfast or even food every day, but not vacation!  Pathetic.  I only ate because she and the other kids did.

We got to take the dog to the beach (she had to have breakfast too; animal) and the dog loved it!!!  She was freaked out by dead seaweed on the shore.  That's the only thing that concerned her.  I guess she gets a lot out of smelling grass and this stuff was overwhelming.

After the beach, and a quick lunch (all the eating again)  my child, another child and I went on a bike ride on the island to go pick a few things up from my place.  When we got there, I couldn't believe it, the kids wanted to watch TV!!!  There is a creek right outside my back door filled with more turtles than I have ever seen in my lifetime and as soon as you step out on the back deck they rush the shore to beg for food (I'm guessing that's what they're doing; they don't say much).  But the kids only wanted to watch this for a few minutes.  Instead, they needed some self grounding CRT therapy (it's an old television in this place; here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube I'm too lazy to explain). 

How pathetic, that they needed this.  Of course, I could have prevented them from watching tv, but, they needed it.  So, I took that opportunity to do some social networking, play some words with some friends and catch a quick nap.  The things those kids just can't let go of just shocks me!

Then we did a bike ride back the mile and half to the other house.

Finally, we did some beach time.  It's a such a nice quiet beach with a very gentle Sound side.  It's not too deep, not too rough and not overly populated.  Of course, the kids needed goldfish crackers, water, suntan lotion, floatation devices to "play with" in the water.... what the heck?  Why do you need all of that stuff?  just enjoy what you have around you and live in the now man!   So, I might have laid on one of there rafts,  so what?  That was only to get them to really enjoy the water.  I never get to lay on one of those things and dammit, I'm on vacation!  Besides, I had such poor cell reception on the beach, I couldn't do any social networking or play any words.  Ughhhh

After the walk home from the beach, the angel and I went back to our place to do some laundry and take showers.  After showers we sat back on the couch and relaxed by watching tv.  WHAT THE HELL!!!! I didn't want to do that, I just wanted to keep going and explore some more.  We've only got a few days left, but, the kid... the kid needed the break, so I obliged her.  That's what I did!  I sat back and reclined on not just any couch, but a beach-vacation couch.  And I nodded off to the joy that is Jumanji; she picked it.

Just as I got comfortable, yeah, I had to feed the dog dinner.  The nerve of that dog!  Then we all loaded back into the truck and went back to the other house for dinner.  Mmmmmmm, homemade spaghetti with a big glass of milk; just the way I like it! 

It was a perfect night afterwards to go watch the sunset at the beach, so we all went.  But the kids... those kids needed towels and flashlights because they might get wet or see crabs on the shore.  So difficult.  I had to text a few people to tell them how pathetic these kids are and how they just can't relax.

After we walked back in the dark of night, I was mesmerized by all the stars I could see above.  I tried to point them out to my child and the others, but they just looked up, said "neat" and then ran inside to play board games.  The dogs could've cared less as well. 

It's insane to me how little those kids could appreciate all the new things that are around them.

But what did I care?  Very little as a matter of fact!  It was time for Pawn Stars to come on, so I needed to sit back on the couch and relax.

Pffffft.... kids and their routines.  They just can't let go!

No comments:

Post a Comment