Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 21, 2012

Ahhhhhh, the change of seasons are so wonderful!

Ahhhhhhh... the days are getting shorter... the nights are getting longer... the world is a little cooler... there's a breeze in the air....

It'll be fall in just a day... how nice....

Seriously, I am so stoked about this!

I do like the summer, except for all the heat.  Heat sucks!  I must admit that this past summer was my first "Seattle Summer" in that it rained nearly every day.  I've spent time in Seattle.  It has NEVER rained any day I've been in the Pacific Northwest.  I am almost convinced that all the folks up there just make up the "oh it rains all the time" story to keep the rest of us away.  GREEDY!!!

So yeah, it rained a lot here this past summer.  But it was still very much warm. So my yard was very lush but I had to mow it more which meant more time in the damned heat!  It also meant opening myself up to mosquito bites.

LOT'S OF EM"!!!

We had an "outbreak" of West Nile Virus around here.  A friend of mine even contracted it.  From what I understand he's okay.  With all the bites I got, I think I am immune.  I am not certain but some days I swore I just knew:

"Hmmmmmm.... I don't want to go to work today.  Ah well, must be West Nile."

But my body fought it off and although I felt sickly and itchy, I made it to work.   Damn my work ethic.

I live in the Southeast of the US.  We have very hot summers with little rain and very cold winters with no snow.  By "very hot" I mean that we break the 100's quite frequently.  I cannot believe people used to live here without AC.  Granted, as I've said before, if you didn't know you were missing it, then you didn't really miss it.  But I bet you sure as hell appreciated it when you got it (AC).

But we had a mild wet summer here this year what with all the rain.  However, again, the mosquitos were the worst part.

And when I say we get "very cold" here I'm kind of joking.  I mean it is cold but, well I spent a significant part of my childhood in Chicago.  School NEVER closed there in the winter.  It never got TOO cold or snowy for school and it was in the negative below zero mark plenty of the time.  I don't think we hit negative anything very often, if at all, where I live now.  We get to the teens often and the less than ten rarely, but those are few and far between.

Everyone runs out and buys milk and bread when that happens.  I never understood that.  You'll hear the weather man say "It's gonna be in the low teens tonight so..." and then WHOOSH all of your neighbors head to the store to buy milk and bread.  WHY?  Cocoa, firewood, matches, marshmallows... I can see those as "whoo hoo it's cold" type groceries but milk and bread?  I don't know.  I think people get that because they're sure we're going to die and they want that as their last meal?  No, that can't be right.

Anyway, last winter, there were no rushes on milk and bread.  It had to be the warmest winter I've spent in the south.  It was awful... I had only ONE fire in my fireplace and that was premature.  It hit 40 one night early on in the fall and I got all excited and started a fire.  Then I had to open my windows and doors because it was so damn hot in my house.

The news has said that part of the reason for all of the mosquitos this summer was because of the mild winter and all the rain this summer.

One of the things I like best about the cooler weather is that I can wear more layers of clothing.  I never got over the whole grunge look I guess.  I always liked all of the layers.  Not that I am "grunge" anymore.  But I still like layers.  I wear undershirts year round... just the shirts... year round...

In the summer you can't take off enough to be cool.  And if you could, the mosquitoes would just get you in places you never dreamed possible; sounds awful.  Oh yeah, and you might get arrested too.

So, the fall will be here tomorrow and soon it will be cold enough to kill off the damned mosquitoes.

I hope I can hear them screaming in little mosquito agony as they freeze outside my window, begging me to let them come in for a nice warm cup of my blood... DIE MOSQUITOES DIE!!! I WANT MY BLOOD!!!! YOU DIE!!!!

Wow, this one took an odd turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment