Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I voted.

It's Election Day.

I had a completely different blog all ready to publish today, but I can hold on to it. Perhaps I need to type about my experience voting and my opinion on the significance of today.

I woke up very early, somewhat due to my mind racing and somewhat due to the change in time.  I did a workout for about 45 minutes to clear my head.  I was really working out most of that time too. Anyone can say "I did a 45 minute work out" and they could really just mean that they took 45 minutes to do one rep.  I got all sweaty.

I took a shower, got dressed, drank my coffee and waited for a family member to come over and watch my child.  I left her sleeping.  I'd so much rather be with her, but I need to go and cast my vote.  I feel that It is my obligation to do so.

This has been a tough one.  I feel very little for either presidential candidate.  I have lost touch with the two large parties, or perhaps they have lost touch with me.  What happened to Presidents representing a moral and progressive ground for our nation?  Have they ever filled that role?

I guess only the history books can tell us how they do as President.

I stood in line for an hour and twenty minutes.  The line was very long. 

When I walked into the school to vote, the auditorium where the voting took place was only 100 feet in front of me to the right.  However, the two lines (organized by last names) to that auditorium started 200 feet down a hall right in front of me to my right.  As I turned the corner to get in line, my heart broke seeing how far I would have to go.  I almost turned and walked away.  Many did.

As I stood in line, I saw the same heartbreak on the face of every person who had to turn that first corner to get in line.  Deep inside I felt their pain and I laughed at them as I had laughed at myself when I first got in line.

Many of us in line chatted and formed deep lasting relationships that you typically only find on a long elevator ride.  We all bonded.  By the end we were great friends who may never see each other again, have no idea who the other is voting for and don't even know each other's names.  All I know for certain about most of the people around me is that half of their last names started with A through K and the other half started with L through Z.

When I finally reached the auditorium it was as though I had run a marathon or received an academy award.  I felt I had accomplished something great!  I swear the air was cleaner in the auditorium.  By the time we reached the auditorium, it was as though we were an elite group of VIPs.  Only about 20 voters were in there at any given time with 5 pollsters.  One pollster was already at the breaking point scolding people for taking too long, "We'll be here 'til midnight if everyone keeps working at this pace" he spouted at the people in line; it was only 7:45am by that time.  The polls had only been open for 45 minutes.  I fear he will not make it to midnight.

I got to my booth and cast my ballot.  I was done within three minutes.  I got my "I Voted" sticker and I left.  As I exited the auditorium I had to walk between the two lines all the way down the hall.  I wanted to do so dearly, but I resisted the urge to run down the hall high fiving everyone as if I were Michael Jordan being introduced over the PA as starting for the Bulls tonight!!!  I felt like a STAR!!! 

I saw the look on the other voters faces.  I had that face earlier.  You know the pathetic face that looks deeply into someone else's eyes and says "you lucky bastard... I wish I was you!"  Everyone in line wanted to be me; or they wanted be to done, but I like to think they want to be me!

 I was asked to do an exit poll.  I declined.  I drove to work praying that I've made the right decision.

Only time will tell.

My greatest relief is the lack of political bs on all the television stations and social networking outlets.  I'm looking forward to being able to have pointless conversations with friends again.  I'm looking forward to focusing on other issues and working on accepting what ever changes in policy affect me.

I cast my vote.  I hope it counts.  I hope our politicians get better at representing our nation and not their parties.

But here is what I am certain of;  I believe in our system.  I believe in my nation and I firmly believe that no matter who wins, whether I voted for him or not, THAT person is MY President!

I hope you vote today.

No comments:

Post a Comment