Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Swine Job!!!

I've been reflecting a lot on my past lately.  In fact, I reflect on my past all the time.  So, I could've written this a long time ago and you'd be none the wiser.  So, you just gotta have faith that I wrote this recently.  Because, I totally did! 

It doesn't matter when I wrote this... seriously... I'm moving on!

I learn from most of my past mistakes.  Unfortunately, I cannot forget them.  I'd like to have my brain remember the importance of the lesson learned but forget the consequences that got me there. 

But that's not my point.

I'm going to tell you a story that taught me a valuable lesson about being employed.

In 1992, as a college student, I got a job out of necessity. The Production Studio I was working at had gone out of business, and that wasn't my fault.  So, I went to the campus career center and looked for a job.  I saw one that seemed to work with my schedule and I called the number.  They told me to come in at 9 AM the next day.

At 9 AM I showed up for the interview and they had someone give me a tour of the facility explaining what we did.  I was shown where micro-fiche was printed every hour, where the film had to be delivered throughout the building and then where all of the items that had to be printed on paper and distributed each day were collected, "burst," "enveloped" and shipped.   I was taking this "tour" for almost two hours before I realized I was not on an introduction to my interview but that I had actually been hired and was already on the clock.

I was surprised as this made me the fifth person in the department to do a job that one person could do easily.  I knew right then and there that I was not a necessary employee.  I was just a body meant to fill a budgeted position until the monies poured (more like dripped) in to that position were needed to be utilized in some other manner.  This made sense to me, but I did not respect it.

So, I did not show this job any manner of respect.  I did what was asked of me when I was there and I collected my check.  However, the key phrase was "when I was there!"  I worked three other jobs, or, should I say, I had three other sources of income at the time, of which all were musical.  I was a paid member in a church choir, I ran a sound system for my school and I was in a rock band.  In my mind, those were all more important than the stable but pointless day job I had just started.

I went on about my life as responsible as a 21 year old in a rock band could go, while working in a job he had absolutely no care for.  Seriously, there were five of us to do this mundane job and each day we took turns working.  One of us would work one day while the other four sat at a table and either read or did homework.  So, I called in sick... almost once a week.  I was irresponsible and damn near useless.  Again, I did not respect the job.

Lo and Behold, after about nine months of this, I was let go!  "Screw them," I thought, "I don't need that job"  I knew!!!

I was soooooo wrong.  It turns out, that right when they let me go, my summer had started.  No sound system school-gig during the summer; very few "rock star" gigs during the summer and the church choir was just enough for beer money (yup this is where I was as a not-yet-overly-responsible student).

I had rent and bills to pay too because wouldn't you know, my roomates moved home for the summer.  I had to get another job... AND FAST!!!  I ended up getting what I still consider to be the worst job EVER! 

Now before I go any further, to aid in my finances during school, I did many different jobs. 

I was:
  1. A bag boy, which is not as glamorous as it sounds
  2. A roofers assistant, shingling roofs on weekends at a discount
  3. A carpet cleaner, which was awfully hot and miserable in the summer
  4. A Tiler's assistant, I have tiled many a small bathroom
  5. A sausage and cheese distributor, meaning I drove a van distributing well preserved sausage and cheese products of a particular company to stores during the holidays
  6. An editors apprentice at a production house (that went out of business due to nothing I did wrong; I swear)
  7. And the previously mentioned Musically themed side jobs and mundane printing gig
These were not glamorous jobs... other than the ROCK STAR gig (which still wasn't overly glamorous as I was not a star by any means).  But they proved that I was willing to do anything (legal and maintaining my dignity) to afford school.  I was making an attempt at being responsible, keeping in mind that I felt beer was a responsible priority! 

I had just been fired from a job. 
I was scared. 
I was humbled. 
I was depressed and it was my own fault. 
I was humiliated. 
I thought I couldn't feel any lower.

I was soooooo wrong!

However, I was old enough and on the verge of becoming responsible enough to realize that I had just been taught a very valuable lesson.  I learned that very rarely is any job going to be a wonderful job.  Very rarely will even a good job always be good.  I learned that any job (legal) is worth it if it is covering your bills and keeping you alive. 

Mostly I learned, that no matter what I think, I have to show up and do my job responsibly and professionally.  I have tried my best to follow this with any job I have had since and for the most part, I have done well. 

I've only had three jobs since I was "let go" of which the last two are in my actual chosen career and have carried me through the past 19 years.  However, it's that first job, right after my dismissal, that was awful.  It was my first attempt at "trying" to follow the lesson I had just learned about respecting and appreciating any and all employment opportunities!  I tried and I think I failed, but I could not get fired.

As I said, I didn't think I could feel any worse (lower) than I already had felt, but I was wrong.  After being let go, back in 1993, out of desperation I took the first job I could get. 

I'm sure there are worse jobs.
I know there are better jobs.
But this turned out to be my worst job ever.

I worked.... as... a barbecue cook....

Boy this is getting long winded... I guess this one will be a two parter... I'll let you know how it turns out later.


No comments:

Post a Comment