Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 4, 2012

How Marty, Marvin, Chuck & Johnny brought out the Johnny within me!

I think it's safe to say that we all have a love for music.  Many people find comfort in diverse forms of the art.

I find comfort in what is often referred to as "Classical" music which is somewhat inaccurate as I prefer the Romantic era more than Baroque, but whaddya gonna do; you know what I mean when I say "Classical" even if it was written just yesterday.

In a similar vein (not really in any way) I like Jazz a lot as well.  What with the ad-libbing and free form of the style and the expression.  Mmmmmmmm hmmmmmm.... Add some Blues to that too!

So, I like Classical, Jazz, Blues and I also really like Rock, and Classic Rock, and Pop Rock, and Punk Rock, and Alternative Rock....  "Here a rock there a rock everywhere a rock rock Old MacDonald had a band, rock on Rock and Roll (I just wrote that)!"  It's as if there is an avalanche of rock music (do ya like that?) and I'm open to almost all forms of the genre. 

And hey, Nay sayers may say "nay" now (say that 10 times fast), but I also really like Rap.  Spoken word is one of the most relateable forms of music out there and rap covers so much territory.  I can't say that I relate to all forms of rap, but a lot of it is really impressive to me.

Country.... well, I've really tried to like country and some of it is catchy, but David Allen Coe was my introduction to country music and  for the most part he was right... trucks, mama, being drunk, death and heartbreak... It's mostly sad music to me and makes me feel worse when I am sad.  My God, if Robert Smith (the Cure) and Morissey had started a country band I'm almost certain there would have been enough murder and suicide caused by their collective musical efforts that Pol Pot would have been impressed.

Overall life is good.  Anybody reading this blog or anything on the Internet probably has a better life than the majority of people on the planet.  I'm no statistician or facts checker, but I'm sure that the majority of the planet doesn't have Internet access.  Whereas having access to the Internet does not imply that you are happy or are successful but it does imply that you can afford to have what are called "First World Problems."

Now that is such a big issues to tackle and it isn't what I'm gearing towards in this blog, I'll probably try to get around to that some other time.  The point I'm trying to make is that if you have the daily opportunity to listen to music and check the Internet, you're doing A LOT better than many of the people on the planet who are worried about where they're going to get their next meal.

Sooo, the point I am getting at, is that for the most part, life is good and it can easily be compared to a cheery or heartfelt/ touching piece of music.

This dawned on me on my way in to work this morning as a very simple, yet cheerful, catchy and surprisingly ahead of it's time piece of music came on the radio. 

It is a rock song from the late 50's with a driving blues guitar riff and a repetitive rhythm section.  The lyrics are straight forward and not very deep about a man who goes from rags to riches through the power of music. It still stands the test of time as you can play it for children today and they love it.  It was ahead of it's time because, as simple as it may sound now, it was aggressive and a new use of the blues.

Of course, there is some question as to how the song came about as there is a paradoxical conspiracy about the songs origin.  I can only say for certain that I am personally grateful that Marvin called his cousin Chuck to tell him what Marty McFly was playing and the Enchantment Under the Sea Ball that particular night!

Seen Here, Historical PROOF!!!

Johnny B. Goode is one of the GREATEST rock songs of all time!!!  There, I said it!  And we all have Marty McFly to thank for it!

So, yes, I find it quite inspiring and cheerful to say that my life sometimes is good enough to be compared to the song Johnny B. Goode!  Chuck Berry should be praised and has been many times over for his contribution to Rock Music.  He was ahead of his time and stands the test of time.

So, I think comparing your life to something like that song may be presumptuous of your future greatness.  However, it's not bad to think of that song as a song that fits you and your life.  Johnny B. Goode covers everything as far as feel good music, feel good story, being a trend setter and being ahead of it's time.  This is a great song to hear on the radio and feel it resembles your inner self!

Unfortunately for me, the version on the radio this morning was the Sex Pistols version of Johnny B. Goode.  As much as I like the Sex Pistols, having Johnny Rotten singing his version of Johnny B. Goode as your life's anthem is NOT a good indicator of where you are in life.

I'm just sayin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment