Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 7, 2012

"Swine Job" Part III

Yes, this became a three part story.  Part 1; Part 2
Yes, I am amazed at how much I've had to say about this.
No, you're not a bad person if you gave up already.
However, I promise you that you will be thoroughly entertained closer to the end of this particular post thus making it all worth it.

To recap, NINETEEN YEARS AGO:
  1. I had a part time job in college
  2. I didn't like it
  3. I did not respect it
  4. I was out "sick" often
  5. I was let go
  6. They didn't tell me why
  7. I can assume why
  8. Out of desperation, I took a job as a cook in a fast food barbecue joint
  9. It was awful
  10. I hated that job too
  11. I learned a lesson
At the BBQ place, there were two particular days that I hated the more than ever and on one of those days I actually tried to get myself fired.  I failed at getting fired.  I think they were very grateful to have me (or more like anybody) in that position.

The first "worst day" I had was when I came walking out of the kitchen, during the lunch rush, covered in a coat of my glistening pig balm (I'm tired of typing "fat") carrying a tray of chop when I saw three of my former co-workers just staring at me in awe.  I had never told them where I was working after that day I was "mysteriously" let go.  I did not want them to know how low I had fallen. 

They did not know what to say, but I could tell by the looks on their faces that they did in fact know how far I had fallen.  They just smiled politely all wide eyed and confused and simply said "hi." 

I fell lower.  I can only hope that they saw me in my lowness, learned from my pain and never missed a day of work ever ever again!!!

The second worst day and the day I tried to get myself fired was just an intense and stressful day in the barbecue world.  It was... A Sunday!!!  Everyone comes by after church lets out.  So, by noon we're busy, by one we're swamped and by two, we're just lucky if we can keep up.

It was on this day that the manager straight out of college who didn't handle pressure well (mentioned in Part 2) snapped.  And I snapped right back at him.

I was in the kitchen alone trying to chop ham as fast as I could and turn it into fat free fat laden chop.  Out front the cashiers were taking orders as fast as they could.  I felt like they were messing with me.

The manager kept coming in to check on me, criticizing my speed in my 100+ degree kitchen but refused to offer any help.   I resented that just a bit.

It was not a big restaurant and although the kitchen was hardly visible from the dining area, you could hear everything going on in there throughout the building.  So, every employee and customer knew that the service was slow and that the manager was blaming the one guy in the kitchen.

As if to get his point across more clearly, the manager got onto the intercom and announced over the store p.a. "we need more chop from the kitchen please" only seconds after walking away from me.  My blood was boiling.  I immediately brought out what I had ready.  As I was putting the tray into the serving bin for the food prep folks, the manager got back on the intercom, standing maybe three feet away from me, looking at me and announced again over the p.a. "we need MORE chop!"

This is when I snapped. 

See, this wasn't my career choice by any means.  I was actually working this job whilst fulfilling my internship at a television station; a station which had mentioned to me that that may hire me in a month when my internship ended.  In fact, a month later they did hire me (sort of) and I ended up working there for the next thirteen years.  I say sort of, because the guy who hired me never told me that he had hired me.  He just started putting me on the schedule and never thought to inform me of such.  About two weeks later I called the station to thank my internship advisor who's first words on the phone with me were "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?  THEY'RE GOING TO FIRE YOU IF YOU DON'T COME IN TODAY" to which I replied "What, I was hired?  I never even applied?"

Anyway, I could have cared less about the barbecue job.  I had only stuck it out so long because of my new found work ethic.  I HATED THIS JOB!!!  I had tried so hard to respect it, but at that very moment, I hated it enough to do this:


I hope the pictures make this so much cuter!
I was not in a good place.

That's me re-enacting what I pretty much yelled as I walked back into the kitchen to make more chop.  Oh yes, everybody in the restaurant could hear me as I called for the piggie and oinked back to myself a downright cute and precious little piggie response.  As I slammed the cleaver on the chopping block and made little piggie screams I felt a warmth in my heart like no other.

Eventually, shortly after the piggie screams started, the manager came running into the kitchen and skidded across the floor as he slipped in pig fat... "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!" He enthusiastically enquired in a panicked furor.

"I'M GETTIN' YOU MORE CHOP BOSS MAN" I replied followed by a few more cleaver thumps and piggie screams......... 

I was sent home to think about what I had done. 

I still think about it to this very day. 

They actually did not fire me or take any action against me other than to send me home that day, which is honestly all I really wanted.  In fact, they asked me to stay on after I graduated in a few months.  I politely told them "NO!!!."

I had learned that summer that as an employee you should not take any job for granted.  Likewise, I also learned that as an employer, you should not take your employees for granted.  In that one year I seriously grew up so much... no... seriously!

The next job I had was in my chosen career and when I left that job thirteen years later it was for personal growth and on good terms (I hope).

I still cannot eat at my former barbecue restaurant even though they're still around.

I do make really good barbecue though.  I think it's because I talk so nicely to my piggies!


1 comment:

  1. Love the video. Great moral to the story.

    HOWEVER: The squealing is very "Deliverance-esque". I'm scared.

    ReplyDelete