Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The 5DS of V

Until recently, I’ve never before contemplated the Five Developmental Stages of Vomiting.  Unless you either have kids or have a very good memory of your own childhood, this may not make much sense and it may sound ridiculous.  However, I believe this to be an accurate description.

Stage 1: Babies just puke for no real reason. They just do it with no fanfare or big to do. “Oh look who spit up!” And sometimes it’s like a contest to see who the baby will hurl on and then you just laugh and clean.

Stage 2: Toddlers to preschool throw up and we have an attitude of “poor baby... no fever? Fluids and BRAT diet for you!”

Stage 3: Elementary school kids get sick and parents start thinking “oh crap... the kid is dying... oh crap... I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!!” And off to the doctor you go and sometimes you wind up with your kid in an MRI and most of the times they’re fine. Then you’re explaining to your boss about viruses at kids schools and a week later everyone at work is sick and they hate you.

Stage 4: I believe this is the stage I’m in now. If my memory serves me correctly this goes from Middle to High School. It’s the whole “I DON’T CARE IF YOU HURL!!! YOU’RE GOING TO SCHOOL!!! YOU’RE NOT GETTING OUT OF YOUR HOMEWORK THAT EASILY!!!” phase. I haven’t experienced this a lot as a parent, but I’ve heard of it happening and I think we’ve been on the edge before. Of course once the kid does lose it you may fall back to stages 3 or 2.

and Finally, Stage 5: This is the stage that I believe comes next. It’s potentially from High School and BEYOND, but especially the late teens/ early twenties. Someone tosses their cookies and everyone’s first thought is “What the hell did you do last night?”

I have no idea if this is accurate.  It is just a thought that came to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment