Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

If I just saved Godzilla, I hope he remembers me should he ever go all Rampagy one day.

I've learned some stuff on this very morning.  I had some miniature excitement going on for a bit that really thrilled the dog.  After the "thrill" was resolved I ran an extensive google search and learned that the Mediterranean House Gecko is a fairly common little critter in the South Eastern United States that is not only a non-native species introduced years ago but it is also something that exists.  I had absolutely never even heard of these things before this morning.

This is not my hand but is EXACTLY what I found.
Photo Credit http://racieb.deviantart.com/art/Baby-Gecko-24220779

My morning adrenaline rush began when I thought I saw a very large clear/ light tan spider darting around the blinds on my dining room window.  I grabbed my trusty can of bug spray and doused the area where I had seen the apparent arachnid of doom!  Luckily, I suck at aiming bug spray and missed my target.   As it moved again, my 46 year old presbyopia impaired eyes where able to convey to my brain "I don't know what it is, but that is no spider."  Then my brain went into a whole liberal/conservative bitch fest over "WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, SAVE IT" vs. "WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, KILL IT" debate for a few moments while my eyes tried to figure out how to focus on something so small that seemed to blend in so well with my blinds.  All the while my body was doing some sort of uncontrollable "is it on me, get it off, don't step on it and don't hurt it, unless it tries to hurt me" type dance while the dog pranced around as if I were about to throw a ball made of treats. 

I was finally able to make out a shape and decided it was some sort of see through lizard type thing, hopefully of the non-lethal type.  The "SAVE IT"s won.

This was the exact moment I learned that the first baby Mediterranean Gecko you find in your house is a traumatic rescue scenario.  Your sense of urgency to get this precious little angel outside feels like it's your mission in life. I scooped it onto a napkin and got it onto a dew drop covered leaf outside.
My morning education continued upon finding a second baby Mediterranean Gecko in my house.  It was a kind of pleasant surprise.  It was mostly like one of one of those "Oh look. It's another baby Mediterranean Gecko... In my house... Whaddya know... It's a good thing I still have my Mediterranean Gecko rescue napkin in hand... I guess?" type surprises.  I guess this was better than the whole "oh look, it's a Gecko; and he's got an insurance quote for me!"
 
"Pardon me, but, could you not spray bug spray at me?  Thanks mate."
You read that in his voice, didn't you?

I got it onto my gecko rescue napkin and I think I got it to a leaf.

Upon finding a third baby Mediterranean Gecko I reached more of an El Guapo-esque (finding out there are more than Three Amigos) "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE" frame of mind; it's on a leaf now as well.  
After all was said and done I started my google search about whatever type of critter invasion I was dealing with.  At this point I learned that there are typically only two baby Mediterranean Geckos per clutch.  So, in hindsight, the third one may have been the second one again.

If there are any more to be found I hope the dog "helps" them while I am work.

Look, today's post started out as my personal Facebook status but was obviously far too long.  So, I made it a blog post that I thought I'd publish.  I have continued to write over the years but hardly ever publish so much.  I don't know why.  Just enjoy learning something.  I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment